Monday, December 17, 2007

Not a sub for as far as the eye can see....

Or...Why Don't I Make Up My Damn Mind - Do I Want PD Or Not??

Last alternative title for this post: The Last Minute Adventures of The Weave

Today I had yet another professional development session scheduled for this morning. Again, I would be missing two periods of instruction (which makes a total of 38 missed periods in the month of December alone). I dutifully create sub plans and prep my kids for the impending sub who is due to arrive at 8:45 a.m.

8:40 - I explain to the kids about the bullshit worksheets they will be doing while the sub is there (oh, let's be real about it, while she reads her newspaper and ignores them...)

8:45 - Despite being frustrated about the countless meetings I have been to, my little friends go back to their seats and begin working. I hear a few "I wish she was going to stay" and "aw mans" which, of course, I love.

8:50 - waiting for the sub...

8:55 - still waiting...

9:00- still waiting...

9:05 - yup, still waiting...

9:10 - do I even need to say it???

9:15 - The Weave walks in, looking very haggard. You would to if you had spent the morning sipping coffee and doing absolutely nothing while the professional development schedule goes up in flames around you. She saunters in and sits down next to a kid. (WTF????)

9:20 - "Yea, so there aren't enough subs today. You can't go to the meeting. But you'll work it out."

Of course I can't.

So while I would normally LOVE a nice, long, uninterrupted morning with my friends....I would also LOVE the opportunity to PLAN something worth all of our time rather than continuously pulling ideas out of my you know what.

If you regularly read my blog, you know how tired my behind must be.

10 comments:

17 (really 15) more years said...

Yes, and that's exactly why I decided not to be a bitch and tell them that I wouldn't be coming in tomorrow- lest they bust my balls about not enough subs. Besides, I don't feel like "working it out".

jewelz916 said...

hey there, Mimi!
I'm an elementary school teacher as well, and I can totally relate! I found out just today that I'll be having a sub for the morning tomorrow (so that I can do cross-grade level planning and learn about DIBELS interventions...although I'm not sure exactly who is running this particular P.D. meeting). I was told that the sub that will be in my room "doesn't have the best classroom management skills" and "you might want to pop into your room now and again throughout the morning to make sure everything is okay". Hmmm...first of all, if this P.D. is so damn important, why do they want me leaving periodically to check on my class. And HELLO???? Why are you filling a sub position with someone who can't really handle it?
Anyway....wanted to say hello, and let you know that I, too, have a personal blog. I'd love to add your blog to my favorites....perhaps you could check mine out and if you like it, you could add it to yours?
Enjoy your holiday break!
jewelz
p.s. What grade do you teach? I'm a second grade teacher....although with all of the profanity I lace in my blog comments, you might wonder if I should be with young children!!! After 18 years of teaching, I've mastered holding my tongue when in the presence of my babies!

superdeens said...

I look forward to your stories even though they cause me such pain. It's like S&M.

Anonymous said...

You KNOW that if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all? Holy Cow, girl, You need to think up some way to get even. Subtle but effective. Let a live mouse out in her office, wire her chair to a light socket, put tacks in the rollers of her office chair so it sticks or bumps everytime she moves it. Something has to be done about this horrible treatment. Mystery Teacher

17 (really 15) more years said...

Hi Mimi- I've tagged you for a meme (sorry)- but I just hate to break these chains. Here are the rules:
The rules are:
- Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
- Share 7 random and or weird things about yourself.
- Tag 7 random (or not) people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
- Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Happy Holidays!

MadMad said...

OK - reading you is like testing a sore tooth with your tongue. It hurts... but you can't stop doing it!

(That's supposed to be a compliment. I just meant it seems so frustrating to be a teacher these days. And that's before you even get to the dealing with the kids themselves part!)

Hugh O'Donnell said...

I can't tell you what great therapy your blog is! Even though I've been out of the classroom since 2003, you've cured some of my old traumas. ;)

Thank you, Mimi!

Hugh aka Repairman

雪花 said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................

Kelly said...

Why is the Weave lady still working there? Is she an AP or the head administrator? She needs to be FIRED!

I am a middle school teaching in Texas, and I deal with the same things you do...it's amazing!

I love your blog; you write like I talk and think! HAHA!

P.S. I LOVE THE GOLDEN GIRLS TOO!

Stacey said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sub problems! I'm a sub (didn't get a teaching job after graduating, very typical in MN) and am always sad to hear horror stories about subs! It's not always easy for us either. It seems like every school is very different in their policies, and subbing in three different districts makes it even more confusing. Many teachers and administrators dislike all subs and it shows. They yell at us for things that aren't our fault, like crappy or incomplete lesson plans (how are we supposed to know the kids switch rooms for math if it's not in the plans??) My job can be very frustrating, and I never just sit and read in elementary classes! (sometimes in secondary, if they are working on task and don't need help) I'm too busy answering questions, checking work, and planning for what's coming next. Anyways, just thought you should know that some subs really care about their jobs, work hard and, would kill to have a permanent position! :) (love your blog, btw, it's hilarious!)

Who's Peeking?