Saturday, May 17, 2008

So We Had "The Talk...."

...And I Feel Like I Need To Go Shower...So Dirty...So Very Very Dirty

I've been struggling for days about how to make this post humorous, because that's kind of my thing. It makes me feel better about the everyday tragedies that are my job and (so I think) it makes you laugh. It's a win win.

I'm not sure that I can do it.

To catch up those of you who have not read my post about The Talk (first of all, shame on you for not reading)...I have recently discovered that several of my very young students are talking about sex, including lesbianism, rape and pussies (sorry for the graphic language...but it is all them, not me) and I, being the adult in the room, needed to deal with it.

(sigh) Sometimes I SO don't feel like being the adult.

At first, I was going to have a colleague come help me. She's amazing and works with our older students on "non-discussable" topics. We were going to do a read aloud, talk about the words that are being used and then doing some role playing. But at the last minute, I changed my mind and had her pull out the repeat offenders for a one-on-one chat. I made this decision because (a) I'm a huge wuss, (b) I just don't feel ready to use the words "dick" and "boobs" in front of my class, and (c) I didn't want to be responsibile for introducing these words or topics to the children in my class who may NOT be dirty talking their way through recess.

Ok, so it was mostly (c)...I just had visions of the whole thing back firing on me and the situation deteriorating into an innocence-robbing session for some of my friends. I mean, to quote the Weave's fine wisdom, they have a lifetime of talking about sex, touching and what exactly a vagina is.

So really, all I got was a play by play from my colleague. Which was enough, thank you very much.

Evidently, four kids (two in my class) started a "Sex Club" where they get together, talk about sex and various body parts, and, possibly, look at each other in the bathroom. And I don't mean in the mirror.

Cut to me, with my hand over my mouth, eyes wide, stomach churning as my colleage relayed this information to me. I mean, COME ON!!! What happened to, "He called me dumb!", "She said shut up!" or "He farted!"?? I can deal with name calling, the shut ups and the farts. I mean, once I had a kid come back to the room covered in his own poo....I would so much rather have a friend covered in poo than a "Sex Club" to deal with.

Long story short (or maybe it's already long....), my colleague had a big heart to heart with these kids about the words they are using. She recognized their curiosity but told them that HOW they are using these words is not okay at school. Then she referred them all to their parents for more information. Next week, we are going to sit down with their parents as well and tell them the whole story.

Pass the buck much?

14 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

I'm so glad you did it the way you did. Even though you see it as "wuss" way out, I think you may have run the risk of being on the national news if you had used the "dirty words" in a lesson to a whole class. Whew!

17 (really 15) more years said...

If you really want to puke- read my latest posting:

http://gneissday.blogspot.com/2008/05/more-miscellaneous-or-how-ms-wannabe.html

Talk about needing a shower....

cbh said...

dear god! yeah, i might have informed the parents before hand and then invited them all to be apart of the conversation and have the kids prepare questions for them about their curiosities. hahaha...wouldn't that be humiliating and quite possibly the last time anyone from that group would use the word pussy but oh so inappropriate of me as a teacher?!?

Mimi said...

Oh yes, totally wrote a letter home to the friends who got The Talk...tried to cover all my bases!!

Emily said...

It sounds like you handled it the right way, especially when the whole truth came out. I mean, your little "innocent" friends who haven't been exposed to things like this did not need to hear about the "sex club." Woah...that is heavy stuff for any grade...but even worse that it's SECOND!

Cathy said...

How do you think their parents will handle it? Will they really care? I think one of the hardest things about teaching is that some of the time, parents don't truly "get it" all of the time.

Tense Teacher said...

Whoa! I expect to deal with that kind of talk with my kids, but the babies? Yikes.

And don't see it as "wussing" out; you handled that absolutely the best possible way.

Sarah said...

I totally agree that it was not wussing out! I'd hate to see you on the news! Hopefully the kiddos got the message and their parents will actually see how serious this problem is.

J said...

excellent way to deal with the situation. especially getting the parents involved--shame on them for not giving their kids the talk on their own. grr.

Cathy said...

"Cut to me, with my hand over my mouth, eyes wide, stomach churning as my colleage relayed this information to me."

Funny you wrote this...cos just as I was reading it, I was sitting here doing exactly that! lol

I shouldn't be surprised though...have heard a few doozies from the little ones in my time! But this makes for great blog fodder :)

Katie said...

Bravo to you! I think you handled that as best as you could. What an awkward situation.

You know, the sex talk is a major reason that I'm not ready to have kids. I don't want a baby because I know that in 10-14 years I will have to have The Talk with them. How's THAT for wussiness?

Sarah said...

Just letting you know I gave you an award - check out my blog!

Ms. H said...

I found you from Leesepea's blog, and I'm so glad I did!!

I'm reading through your posts and laughing HYSTERICALLY! (Between the bouts of being pissed-off on your behalf.) I'm especially feeling the pain of having a phone in your classroom....because I'm ready to chunk mine through the window. Oh wait. I don't have a window in my room. *wink*

Have a great weekend!

雪花 said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................

Who's Peeking?